Overview: The Executive Board of the Science Fiction Research Association invites travel grant proposals to attend and present at the annual conference of the Science Fiction Research Association. Maximum awards of $300 for regional and $500 for international travel may be given. Applicants must be current SFRA members; all current SFRA members are eligible to apply. Grant checks will be presented to awardees during the conference funded by the grant.
Please organize your proposal as follows:
1. A cover page that gives the name of the applicant (please do not identify yourself or your institution in the rest of the proposal), mailing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, distance from the conference; please mention if you are willing to accept partial funding.
2. The abstract for your paper (as submitted to the conference director).
3. A grant proposal of no more than 300 words in which you explain:
· the financial difficulty you face in attempting to attend the annual SFRA conference and
· the professional growth you intend receive by attending the conference.
4. A realistic, detailed budget on a separate page. Be sure to list alternative funding resources you have already applied for and/or received money from.
Criteria for Selection: You may find the following criteria useful in preparing your proposal. The Executive Board will use these to conduct reviews of all proposals.
1. Need: The proposal demonstrates significant need.
2. Distance: The proposal demonstrates that the applicant will have to travel far distances to attend the conference.
3. Contribution: The project being presented makes an original contribution to scholarship in the field.
4. Professional Growth: The proposal articulates clear objectives for professional growth.
5. Cost: Budget expenditures are reasonable and the applicant has also sought funding elsewhere.
6. Dollars Available: The organization will attempt to award as many travel grants as possible while remaining fiscally responsible.
Restrictions: No individual or organization may submit more than one proposal for SFRA funding per calendar year (conference travel, research travel, or other grants); this does not prohibit an individual applying for conference travel funding from preparing a small grant application on behalf of a collective to which he or she belongs. First consideration will go to those who have not received an award in the last three years.
Expectations of Award Recipients: Grant recipients will be expected to do the following:
· Present at the SFRA Conference they are being funded to attend.
· Submit a final written report of 1 to 2 pages to the secretary of the SFRA Board by September 30 of the calendar year in which they attend and present at the SFRA conference.
Questions should be directed to the SFRA Secretary, Jenni Halpin, jennihalpin<at>gmail.com
Proposals should be submitted to the same, as Rich Text File or Portable Document Format attachments.
Deadline: 5 May 2018
Recipients should expect to be notified by May 19.